Paramedics & Communications Officers
Primary Care Paramedic
The Primary Care Paramedic is the entry level to the paramedic profession. Their scope of practice on Prince Edward Island includes:
- PEI Primary Care Paramedics have one of the most advanced scopes of practice in Canada.
- Provide Basic Life Support and symptom management as well as basic medical skills and interventions.
- Currently a 2-year training program offered by Holland College in Charlottetown.
Intermediate Care Paramedic
The Intermediate Care Paramedic provides additional advanced skills and interventions in comparison to the Primary Care Paramedic.
- For ICPs looking to apply to Island EMS: PEI does not currently issue new ICP EMT licenses.
- Please inquire with our Human Resource Department to learn more.
Advance Care Paramedic
The Advanced Care Paramedic has the most comprehensive scope of practice on PEI.
- ACPs have the ability to provide advanced medications, skills, and interventions in the field.
- Currently a 1-year training program offered by Holland College in Charlottetown.
Senior Operations Paramedic
Senior Operations Paramedics provide support for day-to-day operations and Management. SOPs work regularly scheduled shifts
- SOPs work regularly scheduled shifts on ground ambulance(s) and can be Primary, Intermediate. or Advanced Care Paramedics.
Public Safety Communication Officer
Public Safety Communications Officers provides 911 call-taking and dispatch services across Prince Edward Island, including dispatching of EMS and fire services.
- Our Communications Centre is an Accredited Centre of Excellence.
- All PSCOs are required to completed a recognized EMD certification course.
- Training is provided in-house complete with classroom learning and on-the-job training.